Download an audiobook for your iPod/iPad/iPhone/iTouch, mp3 player, or smart phone and listen to an audiobook on the go. Check your device for compatibility with Overdrive. Checkout period: 7, 14, or 21 days (your choice). Checkout limit: 6. To checkout and download, you will need:
- A valid library card
- Internet access
- A computer and/or compatible portable mobile device
- Free software from the Maryland Digital eLibrary Consortium
To get started downloading free audiobooks, visit the Maryland Digital eLibrary Consortium website. Overdrive Media Console allows you to download and enjoy audiobooks on your computer, and includes a built-in Transfer Wizard that enables you to transfer titles to your supported portable player.
Video Tutorial: Downloading Audiobooks with the Overdrive Media Console app Viewable/Printable Directions (pdf)
Video Tutorial: Downloading Audiobooks using a Computer
Tips for Finding Audiobooks on the site:
Click here to go to Maryland Digital eLibrary Consortium
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I find eBooks and Downloadable Audiobooks on the Allegany County Library System website?
The library offers popular fiction and non-fiction titles, as well as classic titles. There are several ways to find eBooks and Downloadable Audiobooks from the library:
- By searching the library catalog: From the Library home page at http://www.alleganycountylibrary.info, search the library catalog from the search box in the banner. Type in a title or author, for example. Next, limit to Electronic Resource under Collection. The results for ebooks and downloadable audiobooks will display. Click "Download" to be taken to the download page on the Maryland Digital eLibrary Consortium website.
- By browsing our New eBooks list: From the Library home page at http://www.alleganycountylibrary.info, scroll to the bottom. Click on New eBooks to view titles; you can control the speed of the display by clicking the left or right arrows. When you find a title, click on it to be taken to the library catalog. Click "Download" to be taken to the download page on the Maryland Digital eLibrary Consortium website.
- By searching the Maryland Digital eLibrary Consortium website: From the Consortium website at http://maryland.lib.overdrive.com, there are a variety of ways to search: by clicking on spotlighted titles, typing in the search box, or browsing through lists. One recommended way to locate a title that is available for checkout is Advanced Search. Advanced Search enables you to type in authors, titles, keywords, and check mark to only view titles that are showing as available.
- By searching Project Gutenberg: Looking for more EPUB titles? Consider one of these free public domain titles from Project Gutenberg! Choose from over 34,000 titles that never expire and don’t count against your library checkout limit!
How long is the lending period for eBooks and Downloadable Audiobooks from the library, and how many can I check out?
Books check out for either 7, 14, or 21 days (your choice) and there is a limit of 6 checkouts per customer.
How do I return an eBook or Downloadable Audiobook?
Books automatically return at the end of the checkout period.
Can I return them early?
Audiobooks cannot be returned early by using the Overdrive Media Console on your computer. You can delete the files from your computer at any time, but they will still be considered "checked out" to you for the entire check out period. Audiobooks can be returned early when using the Overdrive app (version 2.4) on your Android, iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, BlackBerry and Windows mobile device, as long as your app is up-to-date. To return an audiobook early:
- Open the Overdrive app on your device
- Locate the item on your app "Bookshelf"
- Touch the "plus" sign that appears beside the title that you would like to return and delete
- Choose the "Return/Delete" button
If it is an eBook or Downloadable Audiobook, why is there a waitlist to check it out?
This is because of something called Digital Rights Management. Publishers and authors negotiate the rights to control their creations, whether the book is print, audio or digital in nature. As a result, borrowing eBooks and Downloadable Audiobooks is similar to checking out physical books--one copy at a time per patron. Libraries are talking to publishers to help them to understand what our needs are and what our customers want. In the meantime, if another patron has already checked out a title, you may put a hold on it. You will then be contacted via email when the title is ready for you to check out. The Maryland Digital eLibrary Consortium makes every effort to provide the books our customers would like to read with enough copies to fill the holds as efficiently as possible.
How can I suggest a downloadable title for purchase?
ACLS welcomes your suggestions to purchase additional titles. We will make every effort to accomodate your request, but we cannot guarantee that we will be able to purchase the material. If you have a suggestion of a title, please send us an email.
Who do I contact if I have a question or problem?
The Maryland Digital eLibrary Consortium has an extensive Help section which may answer your question. Our library staff are also standing by to assist you. Please send us an email with a detailed description of your problem or question. In order to facilitate troubleshooting, please include the following information in your correspondence:
- Library card number
- Title(s) of problem download(s)
- Steps to reproduce the problem
- Exact text of any error messages
- URLs of any error pages
- Applicable software
- Operating system and version (MAC OS 10.6.5, Windows 7, iOS v.4.2, etc)
- Internet browser and version (Internet Explorer 7, Firefox 3.6, Safari 5.0, etc)
- If applicable, device type (Android, iPad, Nook, etc)