ACLS Updates: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information
Updated March 25, 2020 1:00 PM
- All Allegany County Library System libraries will be closed until further notice.
- All bookdrops will close at 5 PM on Monday, March 16 in accordance with the state closure of all but essential services and will reopen with guidance that it is safe to do so.
- Any fines accrued after March 13 will be waived until further notice.
- Online Registration is now available for new users to access online services.
- ALL fine related account blocks have been temporarily removed to allow access to eBooks and other digital resources.
- Parents and guardians can use the Contact Us form to request their child’s STAR Card number for students to access online resources. Please send us your child’s full name and birth date.
- All library events, programs, and outreach are cancelled until the reopening of the libraries.
- Interlibrary Loan (MARINA) has been suspended through the end of March.
- We have created a Frequently Asked Questions page to answer some of the most common questions during this time.
During this challenging time, the Allegany County Library System is committed to ensuring the health and safety to our patrons, staff, and community.
We recognize how valuable our libraries are to the community as a safe space for access, learning, and enrichment. While we take great pride in offering these services, we find it is important to close our doors at this time to protect the health and safety of our staff, patrons, and community.
All fine related blocks on library accounts have been temporarily removed to allow access to online resources during this time of emergency.
No fines will be charged during this closure. Bookdrops will close in accordance with the state closure of all but essential services. Please keep the items you have until the library reopens. Please do not leave items outside the library.
Library officials will continue to monitor the rapidly changing health crisis in the coming days and weeks, and we will respond accordingly.
Thanks to our recent software upgrade, your library materials will automatically be renewed two (2) times as long as an item does not have a hold.
We encourage you to check out the library’s many online materials that can be downloaded or streamed directly on your devices including eBooks, audiobooks, television shows, movies, music, newspapers and magazines.
ALL fine related blocks on library accounts have been temporarily removed to allow access to digital resources during this emergency.
Public Health Recommendations
Keep Yourself and Your Community Healthy
- Cover your mouth with a tissue or your upper sleeve when coughing or sneezing.
- Discard used tissues immediately.
- Wash your hands often for at least 20 seconds with soap and water or use hand sanitizer that is 60–90% alcohol-based.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Practice social distancing. Try to keep an optimal six-foot distance from other people.
- Stay home if you are not feeling well or experiencing flu-like symptoms. Contact your doctor.
Health Information and Resources
To get the latest updates, go to the CDC CoronaVirus webpage
- CDC: What you need to know Fact Sheet – English, Spanish, Chinese
- CDC: What to do if you are sick Fact Sheet – English, Spanish, Chinese
The Allegany County Health Department has set up a call center for questions related to Coronavirus for patients, clients, members of the public. Please call 301-759-5000 Monday- Friday 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM.
Maryland State Library Resource Center – Coronavirus COVID-19: Links You Can Trust