Work for the Library
Position: Service Specialist I (Part Time)
Grade: Service Specialist I: Grade 2, $12.24 per hour, 21 hours weekly.
The Service Specialist 1 (Part Time) is assigned work in library facilities by the Coordinator of Staff Services to achieve ACLS goals. Each day, the Service Specialist 1 (Part-time) will work under the supervision of their work location’s Service Leader. The work of the Service Specialist 1 (Part Time) is focused on providing direct public service to library users. Public Service Duties include checking materials in and out, re-shelving materials, and providing basic instruction on library services and activities. Service Specialist 1 (Part Time) will work in multiple locations and will require scheduling flexibility.
Reporting Relationship: This Position reports to the Coordinator of Staff Services.
Elements of Work: (these are intended only as illustrative of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties doesn’t exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment of the position).
Checking in and out library materials
- Checks materials in or out.
- Carries out procedures for placing holds and reserving books
- Collects fines and fees.
- Processes notifications for overdue books and other materials.
- Creates and updates patron records in an accurate and timely fashion.
- Handles routine questions and answers a variety of questions at the circulation desk, including patron account questions.
- Serves library users in a courteous and business-like manner.
- Answers circulation questions and deals with problem patrons.
- Promotes library events and activities to library users
- Answers directional and basic reference questions.
- Assist patrons in finding library materials.
- Assist library users in searching the public catalog and the Internet
- Assists patrons with library equipment and related software.
- Reshelves library materials
- Participates in continued staff development
- Shares best practices and library procedures with other staff.
Skills and Abilities
Provides honest and useful communication to improve the activities of the library and actions of the library staff. Must have a desire to promote the materials and services of the library. Must be flexible, attentive to detail, and willing to work with a diverse public. Must demonstrate regular willingness to use standard office communications tools to coordinate library work. Regularly exercise initiative and independent judgement. Must be able to successfully work toward ACLS goals and coordinate work on multiple priorities in a busy environment.
Associate’s degree or equivalent experience.
Physical and Environmental Conditions of Work
Regular evening and weekend work required. Physical capability to effectively use and operate various library equipment related to successful job performance. Significant standing, walking, carrying, bending, reaching and handling, pushing and pulling. Requires physical agility and strength to bend, reach, lift, and carry (up to 25 lbs) over 60% of the time; and extensive use of a computer terminal. Ability to work with limited supervision. Ability to maintain composure in work environment serving the public. Overtime may be required. Ability to successfully attend meetings at various library facilities and driving record will be evaluated as a condition of using library vehicles and employment.
Application Deadline: Sunday, February 16
How to apply:
Submit a letter of application and resume to John Taube via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Allegany County Library System is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.