Frequently Asked Questions
What is my PIN?
You have a PIN number:
When you register for a library card, the default PIN is the last 4 digits of your library card number. We strongly encourage you to change the PIN in the Account area. The PIN is a security measure between you and the library. Upon receiving the library card number and PIN, the system looks up the PIN on record and compares it with the received PIN. If they match, then you are granted access.
How can I change my PIN?
- You can change your PIN by going to your Account.
- Next, type in your 14-digit library card number and your default PIN (i.e. the last 4 digits of your card number if it has never been changed) in the spaces provided. Then click on Library PIN.
- Type in your new PIN in the New PIN box
- To confirm, type in the new PIN a second time in the Re-Enter New PIN box
- Type in your current PIN.
- Click Save.
How long may I keep library materials?
|Loan Period||Can Be Renewed||Limits||Overdue Fine Rate|
|Adult & Teen Books||21 days||Twice||$0.20/day|
|Children’s Books||21 days||Twice||$0.10/day|
|Interlibrary Loan||21 days||Twice||$0.20/day|
|Movies||7 days||Twice||10 per card||$1.00/day|
|Magazines||21 days||Yes||no fines|
|Newspapers||In-Library Use Only||In-Library Use Only||In-Library Use Only||In-Library Use Only|
|Paperbacks||21 days||Twice||no fines|
How can I renew items?
Please have your library card number available ready when renewing.
You can renew in-person, by phone and online.
Items can be renewed at the Circulation Desk of any Allegany County Public Library branch. Materials do not need to be with you to be renewed.
Items can also be renewed by phone. To renew by phone, simply contact any branch and be prepared to give the librarian your library card account number so that he/she can access your record.
You can renew books online from any computer with internet access:
- Click Account from the Allegany County Library System website
- Enter your library card number and pin in the designated areas.
- Click Log In
- In the upper right corner, click [Your name’s] Account
- Click View Loans to see the list of items you have borrowed.
- Click the checkbox to the right of each item you wish to renew
- Then click Renew. A message will appear that your item/items have been renewed. (If you get a message “item cannot be renewed”, another patron may have placed a hold on your particular book or item.)
Can I renew at another branch?
You can renew materials at any Allegany County Library System location.
Can I return books at any branch? Does the library have to be open to return books?
Library items can be returned at any branch in the Allegany County Library System.
Book drops accessible from the outside of each library are available for your convenience 24 hours a day. If a fine is owed on returned materials, you can pay fines on your next visit to the library.
What if I lose library materials?
An overdue notice will be sent for overdue materials. If the cost of the lost item exceeds $7.00, the patron’s library card privileges will be suspended until the replacement cost is paid. You can pay replacement cost for lost material at any time.
Are programs available for children at the library?
Can I access the internet at the library?
All branches of the Allegany County Library System have free internet access available during regular hours of operation. If you would like to use the internet must have a valid library card. For a library card to be valid, there must not be any fines or fees over $7.00.
You can type your library card number and PIN number in the spaces provided on the computer’s Welcome screen. You can also bring your own laptop, tablet, or other wireless device to use in the library. Please visit our Computers with Internet Access page for more information about using the computers and WiFi at the library.
Do I need a separate library card for each branch I may visit?
The Allegany County Library System library card will work at all six locations.
How can I access my patron circulation record?
You can access your record 24 hours a day from the Account link located on the home page.. Simply enter your library barcode number as it appears on the back of your library card and your PIN number in the designated areas. You will see all books that are checked out to you, as well as their due dates. Self-renewal of books can also be done at this point. (If you get a message “item cannot be renewed”, another patron may have placed a hold on your particular book or item.) In addition, this area will display unpaid fines and you can pay your fines online. You can also view any materials that you have requested to be put on hold.
Can I reserve bestsellers? How can I order a book or movie?
Bestsellers and other popular titles can be put on reserve with a library card. To order a title you have found, Contact Us or visit follow the instructions below with your library card.
Items can also be placed on hold by
- Find the item you wish to place on reserve
- Click the orange “Place Hold” button
- Log in (if you haven’t already) with your library card and pin number
- Choose the preferred pickup branch from the drop-down list and click: Submit Request.
You will either receive a phone call, email, or text message that your hold has arrived at that particular branch depending on your notification selection. Please Contact Us if you have any questions.
What is Interlibrary Loan?
Didn’t find it in our library catalog? Marina is the state of Maryland’s Interlibrary Loan service. Best of all, it is a free service! Interlibrary loan materials are checked out for 21 days at no charge with a valid Allegany County Library System library card.
If the library doesn’t own an item you want, you may be able to borrow it from another library system through an Interlibrary Loan in three easy steps:
- Login to the Marina catalog
- Find it! Search for the title, author, or keywords to find what you are looking for.
- Get it! Place a request for it and wait for notification from us when it arrives!
Some materials cannot be requested through Interlibrary Loan:
- Books on new and bestseller lists
- Books that have not yet been published
- Most reference materials
- Multiple requests for a single title
- Photocopies of magazine or journal articles over 50 pages in length
Audio-visual materials such as audio books, movies, and music are not available from several library systems in Maryland. Every effort will be made to obtain the material you request where available.
If a title cannot be found by MARINA or if your request comes back unfilled, you may ask a library staff member about obtaining your materials from sources outside the state.
For more information about Interlibrary Loan services, please see a library staff member.