Anyone who lives or owns property in Maryland is eligible for a FREE ACLS library card. Out of State residents may apply for an ACLS Library card for a nonresident fee.
The Allegany County Library System offers several card options to meet the many different needs of our communities. See how to apply for the ACLS Library card below and check out the other card options that may be a great fit for you and your family! Learn more about the library and borrowing materials on our welcome brochure.
How to Apply:
For adults and children six (6) and over, fill out an application for an ACLS Library card at any of our six (6) locations or fill out this printer-friendly version and bring it with you on your visit. You will also need a form of photo identification with current address. If photo ID does not contain current address, please bring additional documentation with your address. Some examples of verification documents can include:
- A valid driver’s license
- Valid Maryland State identification
- Military Identification
- A utility bill or lease document dated within past thirty days
There are no age restrictions for library card applicants. However: Parents or guardians must sign library card applications for all children seventeen (17) and under and the child must be present at the time of the application. Parents or guardians who sign for children are responsible for materials borrowed by those children.
Parents or guardians are responsible for monitoring their children’s access to Library resources, including the Internet.
The cardholder’s name and address must be verified every three years in person.
First Cards (0 – 5 years of age)
First cards are designed for our youngest readers (birth through five (5) years). These cards allow your child to check out Board books, Easy Readers, and other items to foster and grow a love of reading.
- Fill out an application for a First Card at any of our six (6) locations or fill out this printer-friendly version and bring it with you on your visit.
- Parents or guardians who sign for children are required to show identification with their name and current address (see acceptable combinations above in the “How to Apply” section)
Student STAR Cards
ACLS offers STAR cards to every K through twelve (12) student in Allegany County at participating schools. The STAR card is a virtual card that allows students to check out books, use library databases, download eAudiobooks and eBooks, and get free homework help. All with NO overdue fines.
- No application and parent/guardian signature required
- May have a First Library card or ACLS Library card in addition to the student card account
- Account is activated once the student is registered at a participating school, no physical card is issued
Contact Us if you have any questions regarding a STAR Card account.
Teachers and Educators
Teachers and educators who work in Allegany County, but live out of state, may obtain a waiver of the Out of State fee when proof of employment is shown.
Get your Questions Answered
Library for the Blind and Print Disabled
The Maryland State Library for the Blind and Print Disabled in Baltimore provides library service to all eligible citizens of Maryland under the direction of the National Library Service for the Blind and Print disabled of the Library of Congress and the Maryland State Library.